Saturday, May 7, 2011

Inflamed Chest Wall....Really??

I would think it was comical if it didn't hurt so freakin much! 

For the last three days my chest has been hurting.  Not the "Wow that was a great workout I'm gonna feel it in the morning" kind of hurting, but the "Something is seriously wrong with my chest, am I having a heart attack?" kind of hurting.

This can't be comfortable
WTF???

I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac or anything so I figure, whatever it is, it will pass.  But people keep asking me, "Are you ok?"  "What's wrong with your ribs?"  Apparently I keep touching my chest and wincing in pain.

No idea.  All I know is that I wake up in the morning and feel okay, but by 11:00am I feel like an elephant is sitting on my breastbone. 

Maybe it's reflux...I take an antacid...no dice.

My co-worker...who tends to be my go to person for bodily aches and pains mentions "inflamed chest wall".  So I GOOGLE:  "Inflamed Chest Wall"

Costochondritis is a condition that causes chest pain due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. Also called Tietze's Syndrome, costochondritis occurs when there is inflammation at the junction of the rib bone and breastbone (sternum). At this junction, there is cartilage joining these bones. This cartilage can become irritated and inflamed. Depending on the extent of the inflammation, costochondritis can be quite painful.

This condition is thought to be bost commonly due to repetitive microtrauma, or overuse. This means that activities are causing repeated damage to the cartilage of the chest wall leading to inflammation.

"Do your best and forget the rest"
Hello??  Perhaps I am overdoing it with the upper body workouts.

Repeated rows and push ups while also using crutches...hmmm.  Should have thought that through better.

I wonder what Tony Horton would have to say about this?

Of course I'm self diagnosing, but it does make the most sense.  Motrin seems to help and I have promised to lay off the push ups and rows for a little while.  I am wondering if trauma to any part of your body effects the rest of you.  Is my body less resilient in general because it is working to heal my foot??  

Luckily my girl hooked me up with her bike trainer so I can get my burn on.

Not so sure how it will work with the big black boot, but it's worth a try!


















  







1 comment: