Sunday, May 22, 2011

Unbearable Pain and Cycling..Where Did The Week Go?

Sorry for the lack of posts this past week.  I suppose I haven't had much to say, but I have also been a bit distracted.  I am writing now for any folks who are reading this relating to either a broken foot or costochondritis.  

Similar to the boot I am wearing.
Bike on a trainer.
This past week was really tough.  The pain associated with costochondritis has been unbearable at times, making it difficult to function or get anything done.  Last weekend I did finally get on my bike (using the trainer).  Big black boot and all.  If you have a broken foot and are allowed to put any weight on it, I highly recommend a stationary bike for cardio.  I rode for 25 minutes on Sat and 30 minutes on Sunday and then I iced my chest.  Interestingly enough, my chest did not hurt at all during the workout or directly after.  Icing it either made it worse or didn't do anything though, because both days were pretty torturous.

On Monday and Tuesday there were actually moments when I wasn't thinking about my chest.   I decided to start weaning off the motrin and took my dose down to 600mg 3x/day instead of 800.  By Friday I felt just as bad as I did the previous weekend.  Back up to 800mg....ugh!  As of yesterday I also added a Zantac and if it is really hurting...I take tylenol too.  So far today has been a GREAT day.  I feel halfway human.  Just not sure what the other half is yet..

Halfway human...although imagine it with only one foot.
In the meantime, I have been walking just the tiniest bit on my foot without the boot in the morning and at night.  Mostly to get back and forth to the bathroom, because using the crutches hurts my chest to much.  The GOOD news is that I don't feel any pain in my foot!

So, either my chest hurts so badly that it is completely masking any pain in my foot, or maybe it is the 800mg of motrin I am taking 3x/day....or it could be that the break is pretty close to being healed!!

I have continued on the bike every other day for the last week.  I am still steering clear of any strength training, however I am considering working my arms tomorrow.  By the way, a great resource for cardio workouts is a website called motiontraxx.com

You can download workout music for free.  The cool thing is that you get tracks that set your pace.  Some even do intervals for you.   Currently there is a series of cycling mixes.  AWESOMENESS!

Tomorrow I go to the foot doctor.  There is a possibility that I will be able to get rid of the boot.  Which would be great for many reasons, one of which is the fact that it is FUNKY from sweating my ass off on the bike. 

Stay posted for updates...and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment